How to Make A Freddo Cappuccino (Greek Iced Coffee)
Hot days call for cold coffee. Ideally that's cold coffee near a beach, in the sun and on a holiday but cold coffee nonetheless. Iced coffees can be as simple as dropping some cold milk into your morning coffee or as complicated as you like really if you want to add flavours, make cold brews and even try carbonation.
The style on the continent however is simple but distinct and usually, if not always, involves frothing milk. This not only looks awesome (we think so anyway) but means you sacrifice nothing of the creamy texture you're used to with hot variations.
Here - our resident designer, Vasiliki Zotou, has shared the method from her native home in Athens. The Freddo Cappuccino is a classic Greek island drink and a way of life in the hot climate all over Greece. It requires a milk frother, and can use a shaker instead, but if for how cheap they are, and if you're going to make more than one of these this summer then it's definitely worth investing in.
Photos: Vasiliki Zotou
- 50ml espresso (alternatively use strong Moka coffee or use two pod coffee shots)
- 100 ml skimmed milk*
- Sugar to taste (we suggest 1 teaspoon)
- Ice cubes
- Ground cinnamon or cocoa powder
- You'll also need a hand-held electric milk frother. These can be found online for less than a fiver. If you're unable to lay your hands on one then replace this step with a 'hard shake' in either a cocktail shaker or even air tight jar.
*Milk needs to be used cold and as close to 0% fat as possible works best
- Brew your coffee using either espresso, pod coffee or moka pot.
- Dissolve the sugar into the coffee using the handheld frother to introduce some air and then add an ice cube to speed up the cooling down.
- Pour into a glass half full of ice.
- Take the milk and in a separate cup/jug use the frother until foam forms on the top of the milk.
- Pour onto the espresso ice mixture. if your milk is frothed then they layers should stay separate at first and only slowly integrate.
- Garnish (optional) with a sprinkle of cinnamon or cocoa powder.