How to make the perfect Hot Buttered Coffee Cocktail with Coffee Liqueur
You've heard of Hot Toddy or Mulled Wine but this Hot Buttered Coffee Cocktail from our resident Roaster and cocktail expert, Claire Wallace, kicks things up a notch. This is a seasonal spiced cocktail with warmth and deliciousness on another level.
Whether you're settled in by an open fire or just in after a long day in the cold sometimes a cup of warmth that ticks all of the boxes. It's rich, it's seasonal and it's undeniably delicious. This is the coffee cousin of the Hot Buttered Rum and it's perfect for Autumn and the cooler months.
This recipe makes enough for one serve but can very easily be scaled up for multiple servings with little effort. *Best served in a glass heatproof mug.
- 25ml Mr Black Coffee Liqueur
- 20ml Dark Rum
- 15ml Spiced Syrup* (or a liquid sweetener of your choice)
- 100ml hot filter coffee (or Volcano pod topped up with water)
- 5g salted butter
- Pour hot water into your heat proof serving cup to preheat.
- Add Mr Black Coffee Liqueur, rum, syrup and salted butter to a small saucepan over low heat. Allow to warm through, but to NOT boil.
- Whilst this is warming, brew your fresh filter coffee or pod. We recommend Finca Marilandia or a Bold pod.
- When the coffee is ready, remove the Mr Black mixture from the heat. Add the coffee.
- Using a stick blender, briefly blend until combined and slightly frothy.
- Empty the preheat water from your cup, and carefully pour the drink from the saucepan into the cup.
- Top with freshly grated nutmeg.
* Spiced Syrup Recipe
This recipe will make more than you need, but it lasts 2 weeks if refrigerated.
- 125g Granulated Sugar
- 125g water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 Allspice Berries
- 3 Cloves
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan and place on a medium heat.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring often as it warms to dissolve the sugar.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the syrup to cool.
- Strain the syrup. Keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.